Email: Son’s giving up due to financial, emotional stress. Worried about suicide. (US)
Empathetic. 800,000 people die due to suicide each year, 1 person every 40 seconds. Suicide is a global phenomenon. Effective, evidence-based interventions can be implemented to prevent suicide. For each adult who died by suicide, more than 20 others attempted one. 2nd leading cause of death among 15-29 year olds.
79% of global suicides occur in low-middle income countries. Happen impulsively in moments of crisis with a breakdown in ability to cope – financial / familial stress, chronic pain, illness. Experiences of conflict, disaster, violence, abuse, isolation are strongly linked with suicidal behaviour. High in vulnerable groups who suffer discrimination – refugees & migrants, indigenous & marginalised people, prisoners.
Suicides are preventable by:
- compassionate counselling from trained specialists, support from loved ones
- reduced access to means of suicide (pesticides, firearms, medications)
- sensitive, responsible reporting by media for awareness
- dedicated school, work interventions to build early resilience
- alcohol, substance abuse policies to prevent harm
- early identification, treatment of mental, emotional stress, disorders
- training of non-specialised health, community workers
- follow-up care for ones who attempt suicide, easy access to guidance
When everything feels like an uphill struggle, imagine the view from the top!