As we celebrate International Women’s Week, 40% of women worldwide have experienced physical, sexual violence. 72% of child trafficking victims for sexual exploitation. 700 million girls in the world married before age 18. 200 million girls have undergone female genital mutilation.
Violence negatively affects women’s physical, mental, sexual, reproductive health, increases risks of acquiring HIV. To achieve lasting change important to enact, enforce strict legislation. Need to develop, implement policies that promote gender equality by:
- ending discrimination against women – education, legal
- improving women’s access to paid employment
- resourcing national plans to address violence against women
- raising awareness in communities, boosting advocacy
- preventing recurrence of violence through early identification, support
Way to go…